Saturday, November 10, 2012

When Modesty Calls

A week ago, my mom and I went to Dannah Gresh's Pure Freedom conference. It was amazing. We went home with a few books in hand. One titled Graffiti (by Erin Davis) and another named, And The Bride Wore White, one of Dannah's best selling books. (click HERE to read more on the book)

So anyway, I'm half way through it, and I hit a familiar topic- Modesty.
At the end of every chapter, Dannah encourages the reader to journal and pray about the last chapter and what not. So, I pulled out my journal and a pen, and sat against my dresser on my bedroom floor. I did just as the she had asked, "go through your clothes and kick out whatever needs to go. Get rid of all immodesty. Then, tell God how good you feel..". It actually wasn't that bad. I turned on some music, prayed, and eventually, had a nice sized pile of clothing. Any short shorts, (that I wore around the house- don't worry, I would never actually wear those things out in public!) shoulder-showing shirts/sweaters, etc. I felt pretty great. As I sat there, continued to read and write in my journal, and give thanks to the Lord, I felt a sense of...freedom. I felt as if I was beginning a new life. A new life of modesty!

See, I have always thought modesty was important. So that's not what changed. It's just that since I've been reading And The Bride Wore White, my views on modesty have changed. I used to think certain things were okay, like you may see no harm in wearing mini skirts. That is your opinion and perspective. But Dannah and her book have helped me to realize that the deep, true reason for letting your shirt hang off your shoulder, is to fill your natural desire. The natural desire every girl has, to attractive a guy. Even if you don't admit it, it's most likely true. And it's okay! We all have it. In fact, we were created with it. God made each of us to one day desire attention from the opposite gender. Just, the right attention.

So long story short, I've realized that since we don't need to go out 'searching' for a guy, there is no need for us to dress immodestly. Plain and simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment